gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd for time sync on Ubuntu remix too hard for normals -

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd for time sync on Ubuntu remix too hard for normals - how to improve?
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 13:20:21 -0700

address@hidden said:
> To be fair, I have not been rigorous.   But, I calibrated offset, and left a
> machine with just the GPS, no network, for two days.  "jitter" as reported by
> NTP was low, when checked on 5ish times a time, less than 5 ms.

Thanks.

You don't need to unplug from the network.

If you add "noselect" to a server line in your ntp.conf, ntpd goes through all
the packet exchange work but then doesn't use that server.  It does log the
rawstats and peerstats info so you can graph it.

You can use that in two ways.  You can setup a known-good server and use it to
monitor other servers.  You can add fake-servers to the system you are testing.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.