gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 11:23:04 -0700

Yo Luca!

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 19:36:04 +0200
Luca Weiss <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was testing gpsd on the Pinephone devkit [1] with the Quectel
> EC25-E modem which also has GPS/GNSS integrated.

Cool.

> I could start gpsd
> fine with "sudo gpsd -N -D3 -G -F /var/run/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyUSB1"

Dunno why you would use the socket AND specify the device.

> but afterwards I needed to tell the modem at /dev/ttyUSB2 the command
> "AT+QGPS=1" to turn on the GPS component (and "AT+QGPSEND" to stop it
> again).

Afterwards, not before?  USB2 not USB1?

> So I wanted to ask how I can integrate that into gpsd so it
> does it automatically?

Don't bother,  That would be very hard.  Just do:
        # echo ""AT+QGPSEND" > /dev/ttyUSB2

> I've also seen that ofono provides a "location reporting api"; and
> there's also modemmanager which provides seemingly the same
> functionality;

No idea.  Might be soemthing easy and standard, might be bizarre and
proprietary.

we would need some doc to know.

> but as most existing applications seem to use gpsd
> (except I think anything geoclue based, as that only supports
> modemmanager) I would like to get gpsd working properly for this.

geoclue is also new to me.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/geoclue/geoclue/wikis/home

Ah, d-bus based.  Is that what gpsd already uses?

> [1] https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Project_Don%27t_be_evil

Interesting.  I for one have come to hate Samsung for their bloatware
and adware.  And now their phones are very fragile.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588