gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘timestamp_t is dead. Long live timespec_t

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘timestamp_t is dead. Long live timespec_t
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:39:13 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 21:23:55 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:29:27 -0400
> > Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> But, I still don't see how timeval vs timespec is different.  Both
> >> use time_t, which either is or isn't big enough on any particular
> >> system.
> >
> > timeval is in micro-seconds.  timespec is in nano seconds.
> >
> > It is easy to run gpsd and ntpd to keep time to under a
> > micro-second, so timeval is not good enough.
>
> Sure, I get that, and thus I concur that it's obvious that switching
> to timespec everywhere is a good thing.  I just don't see how
> timespec has any different proprerties than timeval about whether
> things work in Y2038.

I don't remember anyone saying it was.  Since gpsd has not used timeval
for years it could not be an issue.  It was timestamp_t that got
replaced, not timeval.

> >> I have been having more and more scons issues globally because
> >> pkgsrc can build either 2.7 or 3.7 scons, but they both install
> >> "scons" so they conflict,
> >
> > Gentoo does not have the problem.  So I have no idea what that
> > could be.
>
> How does gentoo install two versions of scons, one using 2.7 and one
> using 3.7, that are both called scons, and arrange for programs that
> use scons to call the right one?

This is really simple, scons just works with any verion of python > 2.6

> I'm actually serious about the
> question, since the question is how to manage the complexity with
> reasonable pain, and if there's a nice answer I would be inclined to
> steal it.

Or just use Gentoo.   Given the PEP non-compliance of your distro
you are already jammed up.

> So far I can only think of renaming scons to scons2.7 and
> scons3.7

Or, just make sure scons works with app Python 2.6.  What a concept!

and patching programs that use scons, or adding
> /usr/pkg/scons3.7/bin/scons and then hacking the path based on
> dependencies.
>
> >> Is gpsd truly agnostic, and is it believed that using 3.7 is 100%
> >> ok?
> >
> > Works for me.  It test 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7 daily.  I'm sure other
> > version are also tested frequently.
>
> I now believe all my troubles are due to 1) scons broken caching and
> 2) the change to no longer respect PYTHON which I didn't realize, and
> have now documented the workaround for.

Uh, I thought you solved the caching by scons -c and deleting
.scons.dblite?  Which is documenting.

And thanks for documenting 2).  Sometimes gpsd devs forget the mistakes ot
other distros.

> >> I don't have a binary "python"
> >
> > That would be in violation of PEP 394.  Complain to your distro.
>
> I should complain to python because the PEP is wrong.  In all
> seriousness, opinions differ here.  Not going to be a useful
> discussion :-)

Yes, please complain to them.  I'm sure they can explain it better than
I can.  All I know is that for some reason distors like Gentoo have
no issues with it.  Even like it.

> Regardless, even if "python" points to python3.7, it should be
> possible to build gspd with python2.7, and vice versa.

Yeah, so I can build them both every day, like I already do?  I thought
we got you past that issue?  I thought your doc of PTYHON, see above,
fixed it for you?

>  In each of
> those cases, it has to decline to use the bare python.  It is pretty
> clear this is broken now, at least for regression tests.

I guess I have misunderstood previous emails, and your comment above.
Works for me, what still fails for you?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588