gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:45:02 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 21:28:07 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Each python program has a compiled-in default PYTHONPATH that
> >> works; python3.7 e.g. looks in
> >> /usr/pkg/lib/python3.7/site-packages/./usr/pkg/lib/python3.7/site-packages/
> >>

> > Wow, that is weird.  Never seen that.  Why would someone put usr/pcg
> > under another /usr/pkg?
>
> sorry, paste error, meant just
>
>   /usr/pkg/lib/python3.7/site-packages
>
> > Either way, it is sorta circular, you need the PYTHONPATH to find
> > the PYTHONPATH in those files...
>
> I don't follow.  import just looks there.

Yes.  You do not need PYTHONPATH for that location.  So I guess I
am missing something.  What is your problem?

> >> It does, but it also breaks the notion of gpsd as a network
> >> protocol where you can run a client on one machine and the gpsd
> >> server on another.
> >
> > Only when they are different versions.  You'll need to take that up
> > with Eric.
>
> EDONTTILTATWINDMILLS

Better windmills than me.

> >>  Arguably there should be a protocol version instead, with
> >> significant effort not to have a breaking change.
> >
> > Already done.  This is what it looks like:
> >
> > # gpspipe -w pi8
> > {"class":"VERSION","release":"3.19.1~dev","rev":"release-3.19-527-g670e7c538","proto_major":3,"proto_minor":14}
> >
> > Notice the VERSION and rev.
>
> OK, but I really meant further that the client/server check should be
> on protocol version.

Good idea.  Patches welcome.

But before you can do that, the gps Python module has no way to emit
log messages.  Major infrastructure deficiency.  Patches welcome.

> Imagine if Thunderbird 60 couldn't talk to dovecot 2.3 because the
> prgoram versions are different.

See above about Eric.

> Anyway - I've given my opinion and am now done, until I forget and run
> into this again, when I'll mention it again :-)

Please, first to Eric.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588