gpsd-dev

Re: b32ff1a86 Breaks OSX and FreeBSD

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: b32ff1a86 Breaks OSX and FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 21:47:29 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yo Greg!
>
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 10:24:30 -0500
> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that checkCompile is being asked to compile a program
>> that uses time_t, without sys/time.h having been included.  This is
>> called from checkSizeOf, which seems to take a type without also
>> taking a list of headers needed to define that type.
>>
>> specification for time_t use:
>>   https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/sys_time.h.html
>>
>> I just pushed a workaround to checkSizeOf.
>
> Thanks!
>
> The Linux man page says to include time.h, not sys/time.h.
>
> "sys/" stuff is for system dependent stuff.  time.h is the standard include.

There's a lot of historical stuff in posix, for lots of reasons.  You
are saying "standard", but you are meaning "what the man pages on the
linux system in front of me stay", which is not what standard means.

> Any reason not to use time.h instead?

See POSIX.  That is the standard, and if Linux is different Linux should
be fixed.  Absolutely gpsd needs to follow POSIX.  If that works ok on
Linux, it should just be like that.   If not, there needs to be a Linux
workaround.