gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Templating

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: ✘Templating
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 22:26:48 +0100

On 1/5/20 10:09 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>> and a large part of that is the time to install packages.
>
> Just checking...
>
> You are talking about the time to install dependencies needed to run xgps but
> not needed to build it.  (rather than the time to install gpsd)

exactly.

> Any idea why it takes so long?  Network?  CPU?  Disk?  Memory/swapping?  ...

Depending on the architecture I'd say a mix of all of them, but mainly
CPU speed. Installing packages also takes a bit as it enforces fsyncs
during the update of the package status database. So a slow io subsystem
also does not help. Neither mipsel, nor m68k or sh4 were made for for
building packages, but they can run things like gpsd easily. It would be
the same for arm if it wouldn't be popular as server these days.

As the regression tests are running at build time it also depends on how
efficient Python on that platform is, same for the scons calls of course.