gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 15:36:48 -0800

Yo Ladislav!

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 23:47:32 +0100
Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Oh, my.  What a mess...  But that is yet another discussion...
>
> That mess is generated. gpsd choose to have all that options, so
> lets feed it. We are always setting all those options, even with
> default values, as it is easier to spot something has changed
> after update.

If you say so.  Your swamp, not mine.

> > Looks good.  Except for the email mangled it, and more, badly.
>
> That's mailing list issue, I'm afraid.

Or PEBKAC.

> > So don't use sysroot.  Other people need it.  Your choice.
>
> Remember? I was asking _how_ do people cross-compile.

Asking the wrong guy.

Instead, tell us what is failing for you.

> > > - if SConstruct uses sysroot as a toolchain sysroot it is the only
> > >   tool doing so this way and question is why it is doing so.
> >
> > Because some users insisted.  Find a cross-compile user to ask, or
> > look in the git log and email archive for why.
>
> Didn't find anwer in mail archive nor git. Also yocto and buildroot
> are patching gpsd to be able to crosscompile. And reading your
> answers they will continue doing so ;-)

gpsd has accepted patches from yocto people.  gpsd encourages that.

Since you want to cross-compile, and they cross-compile, have you
asked them?  If you like their patches, that they think work for them,
suggesst them for gpsd.

> > And yet, quite common.
>
> Common? I remember decades ago it was quite more common than today and
> I'm glad those times are away.

You are correct, decades.  Gpsd only requires C99, and a few extensions.
So now you see why gpsd insists on what was common decades ago, not the
newest shiny thing, soon to change again.

Two words: Slowlaris and RHEL.

? Single toolchain can be used to compile
> dozens different projects, so putting all that different garbage into
> toolchains sysroot is not an option.

No one asked you to.  gpsd does not require it.

> But point taken, for those people
> still doing so, it is "usefull".

gpsd tries to please as many users as possible.

> > If they are NOT installed there, then how is gpsd supposed to find
> > them?
>
> They can be installed anywhere as long as we have a way to tell gpsd.

Yup.  Different wasy depedning on what "them" is.

Always best to be specific, then someone can give you a useful answer.

> And it seems pkg-config and cross-python do their job here (read: it
> works for me)

And it gpsd took every "works for me" patch, it would work for no one.

So share your exact problem and since yocto, etc. have solutions, we
know there are solutions.

> > They are certainly NOT the ones the host OS is using.
>
> Please avoid stating obvious, makes emails shorter. Thank you.

Pot, kettle, black.

> > gpsd does not use any staging area.
>
> Not talking about gpsd. Talking about root directory all libraries
> gpsd depends on are installed. See bellow

If we are not talking gpsd, then you are on the wrong email list.

> > Hmm, so you are saying sysroot is not sysroot?  That makes no sense.
> > It is a gcc and ld option that you may use, or not.  If you don't
> > want it passed to gcc and ld, then don't call it sysroot.
>
> Toolchain sysroot is definitely something else than autotools sysroot.

Uh, gpsd does not use autotools.

> I just couldn't believe there is a project that needs to set
> toolchains sysroot. See later.

So how is gpsd supposed to know where to look?  Some folks cross compile
for many arches.  Gotta keep that stuff separate somehow.  Magic just
does not work.

Since gpsd can cross-compile, you are mistaking a tree for a forest.

> > Just like make and autoconfuse it takes a whole lot of work to
> > understand.
>
> Yes, and because those are pretty common, that work was already
> invested.

Hah.  The number of people that truly understand make is tiny.

> > So, what do you need?
>
> I need to be able to crosscompile gpsd. I certainly do not want to
> install anything to toolchains sysroot. And I'd like to be able to do
> it as easily as with autotools or meson.

I don't remember anyone saying you had to use sysroot?  Somehow yocto
makes it easy.  Look at what they do.  Talk to them.

> > That is a makefile. gpsd does not use makefiles.  And an ugly one at
> > that.  A perfect example of why gpsd is (slowly) getting rid of
> > compile time options.  I'll leave that mess to you.
>
> I'm sorry I bothered you with an example how scons gets called. It is
> nice of you (as a gpsd developer) leaving all that mess to me. Just
> rememeber - that mess originates in gpsd project.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree.

You misuse scons, create your own mess, expect it byte you.

> > OTOH, if you have suggestions for more/better/different scons
> > options then please ask.  One at a time.
>
> I think I can live with gpsd as it is. All cross build systems
> supports patching instantly, just to handle situations as this one.

Good, so we are done?

Feel free to submit your patches.

> > After you explain what yuo think you need that is like sysroot but
> > is not sysroot.
>
> In my universe, when cross-compiling packages with multiple
> dependencies or even entire operating system images, sysroot is a
> directory used as prefix while mimicking the installation layout of a
> normal running system.

Tell that to GNU.  I prefer not to argue with GNU.

If you don't like the sysroot option, don't use it.

> So, sane cross aware package is pointed to this directory, it is
> instructed which toolchain to use and a magic happends.

Yup.  AFAIK, gpsd can do that fine.  As you point out, other cross-dev
people do that with gpsd.  I'm not saying there aren't things to fix,
but I suspect, without knowing your exact problem is more than vague
details, that the issue is more insufficient doc.

> I was just interested how to do the same with gpsd.

Good, we agree on that.  But without exact details of what is not
working for you, hard to give you good advice.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588