gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 13:57:46 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 09:29:32 -0500
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> SConstruct has 2345 non-comment non-blank lines.   I think that
> >> makes it difficult to deal with.
> >
> > SConstruct is a Python program.  Each and every one of those blank
> > lines is mandated by PEP 8, which is the gpsd standard for python
> > program formatting.  I'm a big fan of prgrams not all smashed
> > together and I like the PEP 8 format.  Nothing difficult, beyond
> > the fact that the problem itself it big.
>
> I didn't mean to criticize blank lines and comments.  I explicitly
> counted the non-comment non-blank lines because of that.  Agreed that
> proper formatting is good.

Sorry, I misread that.  Part of the line count is my personal preference
for one item per list/distionary/etc. to be on one line.

If you go over the file, you will notice that most of the lines would be
repeated, exactly, in a makefile.  Much of the rest would be handled by
autoconfuse and would take similar number of lines of autoconfuse.

One benefit of the current SConstruct is more and more "plain language"
warnings to users.  Try to do that in a makefile.

IMHO, way too much of a makefile is undocumented side effects, I prefer
explicit.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588