gpsd-dev

Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 19:43:27 -0700

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, at 7:32 PM Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Yo Gregory!
> >
> >> Patch applied to git head.  Please test.
> >
> > Well, that did not last long.  gpsfake does not work out of tree.
> >
> > With, or without your patch.
> >
> > New bug:
> >
> > https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/66
>
> Did you run build-all before that?  I've noticed recently that some
> dependencies may be missing, so trying to run the regression tests
> directly may not build what it needs automatically.
>
> As far as the original bug goes, it works fine here on Ubuntu 14.04 with
> Python 2.7.6, with or without the apparently pointless new patch, so the
> Python version isn't the issue.  A useful thing to do after the necessary
> builds is:
>
>         strace -e trace=open python -m gps.packet
>
> When I was fixing previous trouble in this area, I noticed that it would
> prefer the old packet.so file if it was present, so I added code to remove
> it.  But looking at the trace, it seems that there are actually three
> things it looks for before finally looking for the right thing:
>
> open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.x86_64-linux-gnu.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT
> (No such file or directory)
> open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory)
> open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packetmodule.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
> or directory)
> open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.py", O_RDONLY) = 3
>
> So perhaps one of those is there.  Otherwise, it should be possible from
> the trace to figure out exactly what it's looking for.

I think it only wants to look in /lib and /usr/lib. Installing the
files libgpsdpacket.so{,.27{,.0.0}} in either location makes things
work. passing the containing directory via LD_LIBRARY_PATH makes it
work as an alternative. As a third option one could manually patch the
library directory in gps/packet.py. Finally, if it works one could
patch the gps/packet.py.in file to substitute @libdir@.

The investigation is ongoing.