gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsd release coming

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsd release coming
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 09:46:19 -0700

Yo Greg!

This is going in circles, previously dicussed.

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 12:39:25 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

>   if some magic GPSD_TEST_UNINSTALLED env var is set, look in current
>   directory (only)

That var is GPSD_HOME.  but it does not currently force that directory.

Something to consider.  This is partly back-stopped by the version
checks in the code.

>   if not, load the right path (only)

On Gentoo, Arch, etc. you can not know the "right path" at build time.

It would also be contrary to pretty much every other program I know of.

> I wonder if dlopen respeects RPATH; it seems like it should.  I run
> with no LD_LIBRARY_PATH and gpsd si in /usr/pkg which is not in the
> default system path.

The magic of dlopen() is that is "just works"(tm) for you.  Right?

Makes sense to me to go with what every other shared libary currently
does and not reinvent the wheel.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588