gpsd-dev

Re: gps feed from socat

From: Nick Taylor
Subject: Re: gps feed from socat
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:54:46 +0100

Hi there

On 26/10/2021 18:23, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Nick!

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:47:16 +0100
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

Doing some testing on the latest 3.23.2~dev and noticed that cgps
appears to glitch with altitude coming and going.
Yes, unavoidable with NMEA.

Tried using a feed from socat calling gpspipe  as per docs and also
using kplex which provides a raw feed from my gps device
OK.

The raw feed doesn't seem to glitch but the socat one does. Note that
my gpsd on the server providing feed is v3.22 but I wouldn't expect
that to cause glitch?
Not much I can say without data captures.

And remember, the scoat example is pusedo-NMEA, not NMEA, so it will not
match your NMEA exactly.

Attaching 2 feed samples captured on dest machine using gpspipe -r in
case anyone can spot anything strange there...
No good, I need 'gpspipe -R" to see, I need the raw data, not the psuedo
NMEA after being processed a 2nd time as speudo NMEA.
New raw dumps attached
Also helpful would be a descriont of the real GPS model and how it is
configured.
Feed in this case is from Huawei ME936 modem/GPS module.

In the case of the socat feed via gpsd-3.22, but the kplex takes raw feed from the usb serial device and passes it out as tcp NMEA stream.
I'm not actually that bothered about this - just thought it was strange.

Let me know if any other dumps etc would help

Cheers

Nick