gpsd-dev

Re: Low cost GPS, minimal assembly

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Low cost GPS, minimal assembly
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 11:09:51 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 01:03:32 -0700
Hal Murray <halmurray@sonic.net> wrote:

> The context is replacing a LeoNTP box.  Qty 1 to few.

Now that is a bigger problem.  I suspect you cant get LeoNTP boxes due
to the Raspberry Pi shortages.  Most anything similar would be Raspberry
Pi (or similar) based, and also be unobtainium.

> I think low cost was the wrong metric.  Low hassle is more important
> -- both initial setup and operationally.

Low hassle probably means RS-232 somthing, but those are rare lately.
You can take a plain u-blox 8 hobby PC, and an RS-232 converter, but
then the low hallse goes away.  Then hope your PC still has an RS-232
port.

The simplest thing for a non-hobbyist is to buy something like a
Meinberg PCI card that is designed as a timebase.  But low cost
goes oout the window.

https://www.meinberg-usa.com/products/pci-and-pcie-slot-cards.htm

RGDS
GARY