gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Unexpected behavior

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Unexpected behavior
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:16:05 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:52:22 -0700
"Nick Burkitt" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I'm not getting email from the
> list, hence the delay. :-/ But.

Ouch.

> > Well, 100ms + 900ms is 1 second.  That is 100% expected and
> > proper.
> With effort, I was able to perform that calculation also. I had more
> trouble figuring out how the 11 second cycle fit into the 1 second
> PPS period. But it's never wise to read too much into other people's
> log messages. I'll take your word that the 10-second delays are not
> significant.

Uh, what 10 second delays?

> > Of course, gpsd auto configures.  Not a problem.
> If it auto-configures to use user-space PPS, that's a problem. It's
> smarter than that, though, right?

Who said anything about user-space?  gpsd makes a system call to
grab the PPS off the serial port the GPS is on.

> Both gpsd and ntpd (NTPsec) are running, and, possibly, talking to
> each other.

Possibly?  ntpmon and/or ntpq will be clear on the point.

> I can use gpsmon to watch GPS output, and ntpmon to
> watch, um, some information from NTPsec. Nothing in either output
> suggests (to me) that they think of each other at all, let alone what
> opinions they may harbor.

Yup,  Nothing in there about gpsd, so your ntpd is NOT using your gpsd
output.  What does your ntp.conf look like?

> Is ntpd's PPS happiness encoded in there somewhere?

It would be there, but it is not there.  Either your ntpd does not have
the right driver built in, our your ntp.conf is not configureing it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588