gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Controlling the gpsd update rate

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Controlling the gpsd update rate
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 14:37:56 -0800

Yo Deven!

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:55:54 -0800
Deven Hickingbotham <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have been setting my GPS receivers' update rates via my own app or
> u-center to 10hz.  This has worked fine as long as GPSD_OPTIONS
> included -b.

I've never bothered with GPSD_OPTIONS, I just set -b on the command line.

BTW, recent reports on this list that some u-blox skip some fixes at 10Hz.

> Without the -b option, gpsd is resetting the update rate to 1hz.  I'd
> like to let gpsd optimize the communication with the receiver, but I
> want to maintain a 10hz update rate.  How can I do this?

Well, you can't have it both ways.  either you let gpsd do its thing, or
you force your thing.

Some people have luck setting their u-blox configuration, then saving it
as the default in the GPS.  I've been looking into that approach for a
few weeks.

My approach has always been to just edit driver_ubx.c so that it
forces the config I want.  I appreciate that only works for a few
folks and have been toying with various fixes.

I've recently discovered what a PITA u-center is, and have been working
on some python CLI tools, but nothing to show yet.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588