gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD Client Connected to Remote GPSD - Unrecognized req

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD Client Connected to Remote GPSD - Unrecognized request "" when running gpsmon
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 18:38:19 -0700

Yo Joshua!

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 21:02:38 -0400
"Joshua Quesenberry" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Two system setup. System 1 has both an internal and external GPS. I
> want this system to use the external GPS exclusively.

I'm not sure what you mean by internal and external?  There are either
locally connected GPS (/dev/ttyXXX) or network connected GPS.

Why do you have both on the gpsd command line if you only want to use
one?  It really complicates things.

> System 2 has an internal GPS, but I want it to use the external GPS
> connected to system 1.

Two things odd here.  Why do you have both on the gpsd command line if
you only want to use one?  Why do you not connect your system 2 client
directly to the system 1 gpsd?  There is no advantage to the master
slave.

> This system's gpsd instance should connect to the gpsd
> instance on system 1 that is using the external GPS. The external GPS
> is much better quality than the internal GPS units, so I want its
> data instead of the others.

Why do you care that the system 2 gpsd conencts to system 1?  All you should
care about is that system 2 gpsd clients connect to system 1.

> System 1 GPSD started using:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/gpsd -N -G -n -D 2 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyUSB0

The stupid systemd will try to connect the local /dev/ttyUSB0 to
gpsd using the socket AND the sock.  Not good.

> System 2 GPSD started using:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/gpsd -N -n -D 2 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
> gpsd://10.10.50.100:2947

Running gpsd with two GPS sources add serious complications.  If you are
not using the local GPS, then don't use the local GPS.

> -F and specifying the device is how we've been running gpsd for
> years, never had an issue before.

Well, this configuration is not the noe you have been using.  So,
non-sequiter.

> Why -F, not sure exactly why, but
> I've seen similar command format used on other vendors hardware that
> uses gpsd.

"When you beleive in things you do not understand, that is magic."

-F is for GPS hotplug.  You are not doing gpsd hotplug on system 2.
You dont' really even want any gpsd on system 2.

> We're specifying the device because we have multiple GPS
> units present and want to make sure the right one is used.

Why not just specify the one you want?

> cgps and gpsmon were both used to try and view the data. cgps was
> provided with the gpsd-clients package and gpsmon was provided with
> the gpsd package and is referenced on: http://www.catb.org/gpsd/

catb.org does not have any packages.  There are no packages from the gpsd
project.  That is from your distro, we can't help you with that here.

> Both applications present this message on System 2 when started:

Yup, known bug with master/slave, as you already pointed out.  There is
a patch for it. but nothing public yet, as I already pointed out.

I'll push the author of the bug fix to get it released, but even if
it gets out this month, it will be years before your distro picks it up.

So, unless you want to move to git head, you are stuck with the binaries
you decided to use instead.  Old binaries.  Since, as I said in my last
message, master/slave is pointless, just take the easy way out and point
your system 2 clients directly at system 1.  After you remove the -F
from your system 1.  Like this on system 2:

        cgps 10.10.50.100:2947

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588