gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] About date and time validity

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] About date and time validity
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 14:43:03 -0800

Yo Massimiliano!

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 21:26:13 +0100
Massimiliano Fago <address@hidden> wrote:

> I want to update you with my progress. In this days I have no more
> time for make test. I have gpsd running correctly but I need to
> investigate on ntpsec because when I run ntpshmmon I have timeout
> error.

Your cause and effect chain is off.  If ntpshmmon shows a timeout, then
your gpsd is not working yet.  And ntpshmmon shows the input to ntpd.  So
no need to look at ntd until ntpshmmon is working.

The flow is:  GPS output to serial port and PPS.  gpsd read the serial port
and PPS.  gpsd outputs to SHM, which ntpshmmon shows.  ntpd reads from
SHM.

> I think that ntpsec daemon is not runnung correctly.

Yes, if ntpshmmon not wotking, then ntpd will not work.  The only way
ntpshmmon is not working is if gpsd is not working properly.

> I try to
> investigate in this days. gpsmon is not part of gpsd?

gpsmon is part of gpsd.  I prefer cgps, but either can work.

> I want to reiterate that I really appreciated your help.
>
> Grazie,
> Massimiliano
>
> Il giorno ven 14 dic 2018 alle ore 20:43 Gary E. Miller
> <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>
> > Yo Massimiliano!
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 16:33:16 +0100
> > Massimiliano Fago <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > I have checkout the git head of gpsd and ntpsec. I have build
> > > with no problem (I think) .
> >
> > Cool.
> >
> > > Only when I run ntpviz I have this problem:
> > >
> > > address@hidden:/home/pi# ntpviz
> > > ntpviz: WARNING: liberation truetype fonts not found
> >
> > That one is easy, just install the liberation truetype fonts.
> >
> > > ntpviz: WARNING: no loopstats to graph
> >
> > First you need some stats to graph!  You forgot to put these lines
> > in your /etc/ntp.conf:
> >
> >     statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/
> >
> >     statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats sysstats
> >     filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
> >     filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
> >     filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable
> >     filegen sysstats file sysstats type day enable
> >
> > > ntpviz: WARNING: no temps to graph
> >
> > Also easy, you forgot to run ntplogtemp.  So you have not
> > temperatures to graph.
> >
> > > (I think that there are no data because I have not a gps connected
> > > now), but I try to solve it this week end.
> >
> > Nope.  None of those are GPS related, they are all ntpd related.
> >
> > > Do you have any tip for me?
> >
> > See above.
> >
> > RGDS
> > GARY
> > Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR
> > 97703 address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588
> >
> >             Veritas liberabit vos. -- Quid est veritas?
> >     "If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it." - Lord Kelvin

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588