gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to access

From: Charles Curley
Subject: [gpsd-users] GPSD on Debian 10 (buster): allowing other hosts to access gpsd
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 10:19:35 -0600

I have the Debian packaged gpsd (version 3.17-7 [Yes, I know: ancient])
on Debian 10 (buster). It runs just fine and dandy, except I cannot
access it from another computer. I have:

* Opened the firewall to allow packets in on gpsd's port, 2947.
  Firewall logging reports no hits on that port.

* Copied gpsd.socket to /etc/systemd/system, and edited it to allow
  access from all interfaces:

  [Socket]
  ListenStream=/var/run/gpsd.sock
  ListenStream=[::1]:2947
  # ListenStream=127.0.0.1:2947
  ListenStream=0.0.0.0:2947
  SocketMode=0600

* Edited /etc/default/gpsd to include the -G option:

  # Other options you want to pass to gpsd
  # GPSD_OPTIONS=""
  GPSD_OPTIONS="-G"

  The -G option shows up in ps:

root@hawk:/home/charles/versioned/gpsd# ps aux | grep -i gpsd | grep -v grep ;
ll /dev/ttyA*
gpsd     16423  0.1  0.0  18300  3724 ?        S<s  09:53   0:00 /usr/sbin/gpsd
-G
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Sep 18 09:53 /dev/ttyACM0
root@hawk:/home/charles/versioned/gpsd#

My clients find gpsd and the gps receiver on the local host, hawk. On
another computer, I cannot get to gpsd on hawk. Ping works. Telnet
reports that it is unable to connect. Xgps on the other computer
reports, "gpsd is not running."

What am I doing wrong?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?