gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 14:18:50 -0800

Yo Rich!

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:35:21 -0800
Rich Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> Charles Curley wrote:__ "You also need the header files, in this case
> libncurses-dev or libncurses5-dev."
>
> Thank you!!__ I have successfully built cgps now, after installing
> libncurses5-dev.

Those are mintioned in the INSTALL.adoc file.  Have you read that?

> I'm still hoping for help with the other half of my question --
> namely, what I need to do in order for gpsd to interpret my GPS's
> output in the correct era (2019, not 2000)

It is not a problem of gpsd interpreting correctly.  Your GPS is
sending bad data and gpsd has few ways to know what bits are wrong
and which are right.

> -- or if this is even
> possible with my GPS unit (I still don't know what its firmware
> version is, the DEVICES info from gpspipe doesn't seem to say).__ Just
> in case it helps, I'm including the text of my previous message below.

See below.

> Here is the DEVICES line when I run "gpspipe -w":
>
> {"class":"DEVICES","devices":[{"class":"DEVICE","path":"/dev/gps0","driver":"Garmin
> NMEA","activated":"2019-12-03T04:06:12.000Z","flags":1,"native":0,"bps":19200,"parity":"N","stopbits":1,"cycle":1.00}]}

Your GPS is in NMEA mode.  You are not running your GPS in Garmin Binary
mode.

You can put your crappy Garmin in Garmin binary mode this way, while
gpsd is running:
        gpsctl -b

Then look at the DEVICES again.

How have you configured your NMEA sentence mix?

Easy way to see:
        gpspipe -R -x 10 > gps.log

Then send us gps.log

Even better, throw that GPS away...