gpsd-users

RE: Adafruit USB and PPS

From: Neal Dillman
Subject: RE: Adafruit USB and PPS
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 21:10:00 +0000

Hey Gary et al,

> While the upgrade was successful, it has had no effect on PPS working.

> :(

Not would I have expected it to.

Yeah, me either, but it didn’t hurt to try.

The way to tell if the driver is working is to simply run the ppcheck program from gpsd.  All as root (no sudo).

Then run ppscheck against your serial port:

                ppscheck /dev/ttyUSB0

Agreed.  There was no change there either:

/home/pi/gpsd-3.19# ./ppscheck /dev/ttyUSB4

# Seconds  nanoSecs   Signals

PPS ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device

To me this still feels like some kind of driver problem, although I don’t see anything in the driver code to lead me to believe I would have to do anything special for RI or any of the other signals.

> Is there anything needed to tell PPS to use RI as opposed to DCD?  It

> appears not, but I thought I had best ask just in case.

No need.  From ppsthread.c, line 455:

    #define PPS_LINE_TIOC (TIOCM_CD|TIOCM_RI|TIOCM_CTS|TIOCM_DSR)

Saw that.  And the error from ppscheck indicates the tty is not a serial tty, not RI specific.  And gpsd is getting a stream from the device just fine.  There is probably an easy answer I am missing K

Regards,

Neal