gpsd-users

Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device

From: Devren Yener
Subject: Re: GPS time sync with chrony and ESE serial device
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 14:28:34 -0500

Thank you Gary, I apologize for missing this link earlier! Yes this might be exactly what we're looking for.  It would be a shame to get a time server that doesn't involve low-level Linux hacking... :) But it's the company's, not mine.  We're looking for anything reliable for professional radio broadcasting purposes.  I would say that any new device we buy should be at least as accurate as the ancient one we have, so I'm guessing that either RS232 or a standalone server is the way to go, rather than USB.

I'll take a look at the serial pinout next week.  Thank you again!

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Devren!

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020 13:55:29 -0500
Devren Yener <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks Gary for the clarification.   I showed these products to our
> resident electrical engineer, and he thinks our manager would prefer
> we buy a GPS device that already comes with a case and a serial port
> and a power supply, so we don't have to spend man-hours fabricating
> something and soldering on wires. (The raspberry pi still might be a
> possibility but not the bare board.)  Any suggestions for a product
> that is somewhat more finished (and expensive) than the bare boards,
> but less than the $1400 server I mentioned?

I also showed you the complete Uputronics NTP server for under $300:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_70&product_id=92

Why was that not good for you?

Maybe you can say what it is you are looking for?  Do you need real
RS-232?  Is USB and 1 millisec good enough?  Or?

> David, what I'm gathering from your last email is that I might try
> re-doing the pin configuration of the serial cable, to see if that is
> why the PPS programs don't recognize it.  Is that a fair statement?
> I'm getting the feeling that the existing pin configuration is very
> non-standard.  I'm also willing to try "reference NTP" in place of
> chrony, but I'm not very interested in Windows. :)  I might try some
> of these things next week when I have time.

If ppscheck from the gpsd source works, then gpsd should work.

All you need is a good +/-12V pulse on CD, RI, or CTS

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588