gpsd-users

Re: Clarifications about PPS SHM content

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: Clarifications about PPS SHM content
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 20:14:00 -0700

On 3/25/2020 19:33 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Martin!

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:47:31 -0400
Martin Boissonneault <address@hidden> wrote:

I've set /ntpheat -c 3 -t 68/ for testing. Does it need to be niced?
Nope, just the opposite.  The point of ntpheat is waste lots of
cpu cycles and make heat, when needed.  It will pause, and not
waste cpu cycles when something else sends the LF up and makes heat.
In my experience, at least on RPI 2 at least, ntpheat introduced too much secondary 'noise' for lack of a better term - since rpi2 can only bounce between 600Mhz and 1.4Ghz, rather than other hardware that has finer-grained governor options. I ended up just putting everything in an enclosure with lots of insulation - then fine tuning it to allow enough heat to escape to prevent overheat. Still fluctuates over a day of course, but much narrower fluctuations.

If you don't have the option of a carefully insulated environment, ntpheat is definitely an improvement over free-wheeling temperature changes.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com