gpsd-users

Re: Using cgps to determine the satellite constellation

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Using cgps to determine the satellite constellation
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 11:53:31 -0700

Yo David!

On Tue, 19 May 2020 09:04:51 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm using 3.17, so that feature isn't included.

Then give up now.  That predates u-blox 9-series.  8-series support
was still a work in progress.

If you want good 8-series support then start using gpsd 3.20.  Better
yet from git head.

>  Thanks for the
> screen-shot, that helped to explain.  Can I use a recent cgps with
> the 3.17 gpsd, or have the interfaces changed?

You can not mix and match gpsd client and server versions.

> It wasn't the usage of u-center I was questioning,

Correct, I was questioning the use of u-center.

> simply proof that
> this particular u-blox model does have the capability of changing
> constellations - at least to a degree.

Since I can't use u-center I do not accept it as proof of anything.

Nor do we need it to prove what the u-blox doc says and new gpsd sees.

> ubstool isn't included in the apt-get sources for the Buster release
> for the Raspberry Pi.

gpsd can not support what Buster does.  Install gpsd from git
head and your life gets a lot easier.

> I'm working to provide a module ready to install on an existing
> Raspberry Pi, having configured the GPS module in Windows.

Once again, I don't do WinBlows, nor does gpsd support it.  We
can only help you with gpsd tools when you use gpsd tools.

People that try what you suggest get tied up in knots.  Mixing OS
is unsupported by anyone and a PITA.

> It's good
> to know that once configured gpsd will use all the available data,

No one said that, not true.  The u-blox 9-series are incredibluy
complicated.  But most of what people need seems to be working now.

> so
> I don't need further checks on the RPi itself, nor will I be adding
> or upgrading it from the default configuration.

Your hardware is fine, your software is not.  If you want to get
good performance out of your receiver then you need to upgrade your
gpsd to git head.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588