gpsd-users

Re: gpsd + ubx

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd + ubx
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 11:07:10 -0700

Yo Florian!

On Mon, 25 May 2020 16:21:59 +0200
Florian Kiera <address@hidden> wrote:

> How can I run "ubxtool -v 2" on an output of "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -D
> 5 -N"? Using a log file and try to read it with "ubxtool -r" sadly
> didn't work.

You can't.  Never intended to work that way.  ubxtool does not output
raw data.  It takes raw data in a processes it.

To capture the raw data from the receiver, while gpsd is running:

        gpspipe -R -n 1000 > data.raw

TO read it in ubxtool:

        ubxtool -r -f data.raw

> About SET/GET: Check page 211 of
> https://www.u-blox.com/en/docs/UBX-13003221

Yeah, sorry about that.  On some 8-series they changed poll/set to get/set.
Just to confuse people with the new, totally incompatible VALGET/VALSRT.

That pdf is for 8-series.  I thought you had a 9-series?  That will just
confuse you.

> Thinking about it: May gpsd prepares the u-blox device to work with
> ubxtool whenever I execute "ubxtool" (like it does on starting gpsd)?

Nope.

> line 6076 in ubxtool added: sys.stdout.write("\nhex test1: " +
> gps.polystr(binascii.hexlify(msg[:m_len+4]))+ "\n")
> gpsd.txt (running "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -D 5 -N")
> ubxtool.txt (executing "ubxtool -p CONFIG -v 4 | grep "hex test")

Higher verbosity does the same thing.  But feel free to play with
ubxtool like that.

That is in valget/valset, not in get/set.  Be very careful, they are
different.

> At least all this would explain what messed up all the settings that
> I made before gpsd...

Sorry, don't see it.  Does not matter if you can do it now.

> How can I allow RTCM3 messages properly for my base (so it only sends
> RTCM3 messages (1005, 1077, 1087, 1230)?

Study the correct doc for your part.  It is in the Configuration Items
section.  There are over 1,000 options, so I don't remember them off the
top of my head.

> is a shortcut, how can I change it to RTCM out only and use TMODE3?

RTFM.  The RIGHT one.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588