gpsd-users

Re: gpsd + ubx

From: Florian Kiera
Subject: Re: gpsd + ubx
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 17:50:58 +0200

Hey Gary!

Am 25.05.20 um 20:07 schrieb Gary E. Miller:
Yo Florian!

On Mon, 25 May 2020 16:21:59 +0200
Florian Kiera <address@hidden> wrote:
About SET/GET: Check page 211 of
https://www.u-blox.com/en/docs/UBX-13003221
Yeah, sorry about that.  On some 8-series they changed poll/set to get/set.
Just to confuse people with the new, totally incompatible VALGET/VALSRT.

That pdf is for 8-series.  I thought you had a 9-series?  That will just
confuse you.

Thinking about it: May gpsd prepares the u-blox device to work with
ubxtool whenever I execute "ubxtool" (like it does on starting gpsd)?
Nope.
Strange that "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -D 5 -N" gives output about sending messages to the M8P whenever "ubxtool" is started (gpsd doesn't care what ubxtool wants to do, just executing ubxtool will make gpsd send "prepare"/change settings messages). I am still using my M8P's tho.

line 6076 in ubxtool added: sys.stdout.write("\nhex test1: " +
gps.polystr(binascii.hexlify(msg[:m_len+4]))+ "\n")
gpsd.txt (running "gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -D 5 -N")
ubxtool.txt (executing "ubxtool -p CONFIG -v 4 | grep "hex test")
Higher verbosity does the same thing.  But feel free to play with
ubxtool like that.

That is in valget/valset, not in get/set.  Be very careful, they are
different.

At least all this would explain what messed up all the settings that
I made before gpsd...
Sorry, don't see it.  Does not matter if you can do it now.
To set up the M8P's after starting the gps daemon solves the problem that gpsd just changes settings without being asked to. However changing it afterwards works fine!

How can I allow RTCM3 messages properly for my base (so it only sends
RTCM3 messages (1005, 1077, 1087, 1230)?
Study the correct doc for your part.  It is in the Configuration Items
section.  There are over 1,000 options, so I don't remember them off the
top of my head.

is a shortcut, how can I change it to RTCM out only and use TMODE3?
RTFM.  The RIGHT one.

Read myself into it a little. I made changes to ubxtool to have shortcuts available that directly do what I need (enable RTCM3 messages and TMODE3). Simply changing existing functions and reading the M8 manual to make the proper changes.

I just run (on the base computer):

options="-P 20.30 -v 1 -f /dev/ttyACM0"
sudo ubxtool -p RESET $options
sudo ubxtool -e RTCM3 $options
sudo ubxtool -d NMEA $options
sudo ubxtool -p MODEL,2 $options
sudo ubxtool -e SURVEYIN3 $options

and (on the rover computer):

gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0 -G ntrip://root:root@192.168.7.101:2101/BASIS
options="-P 20.30 -v 2 ::/dev/ttyACM0"
sudo ubxtool -p RESET $options
sudo ubxtool -e BINARY $options
sudo ubxtool -d NMEA $options
sudo ubxtool -p MODEL,0 $options

which works fine except the part it still returns fix.status = 2...

What could possibly still be wrong that it wont let me get fix.status = 4?

Regards Florian

ubxtool.patch: contains the additions I made