gpsd-users

gpsd.socket file reverts to default

From: Rich Wales
Subject: gpsd.socket file reverts to default
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 14:51:45 -0700

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS; gpsd 3.20 (installed from the Ubuntu package).

I have sometimes found that gpsd is not running.  When I investigated, I discovered that the socket file (/var/run/gpsd.sock) was owned by root, instead of by gpsd -- evidently meaning that gpsd would not start because it couldn't acquire the socket.

I also determined that the /var/systemd/system/gpsd.socket configuration file had reverted to its original default contents:

[Unit]
Description=GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon Sockets

[Socket]
ListenStream=/var/run/gpsd.sock
ListenStream=[::1]:2947
ListenStream=127.0.0.1:2947
# To allow gpsd remote access, start gpsd with the -G option and
# uncomment the next two lines:
# ListenStream=[::1]:2947
# ListenStream=0.0.0.0:2947
SocketMode=0600

[Install]
WantedBy=sockets.target

I had previously added the line "SocketUser=gpsd", and also commented out the second ListenStream line (since I am not using IPv6 on the system in question).  But the original version of the configuration file reappeared from somewhere.

This has happened at least twice on this particular computer.

I edited the gpsd.socket file back the way it was previously, did "systemctl daemon-reload" to reread the configuration, and removed the /var/run/gpsd.sock file, and after doing all this I was able to restart the gpsd service.

Any idea what might be going on here, and how I can keep the gpsd.socket contents from being reverted?

Rich Wales
richw@richw.org