gpsd-users

Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:23:08 -0400

Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:

> Which works even on Debian. However, Debian, starting with Debian 10
> (Buster) has moved /var/run to /run. Old software is supported because
> Debian provides a symlink. However, that symlink will go away some time
> in the future.

Wow.  I wonder what they think about the notion of / being readonly and
/var being writable.  Back when I was growing up, I think we used
separate partitions (on 2.8BSD!) for /, /var and /usr.  Certainly by
4.2BSD.

> So for Debian, and possibly some Ubuntus, it may be worthwhile some
> time in the future to change that line to refer to /run.

I guess this needs to be a --varrun= configure switch, to set the path
to be used when /var/run ought to be, however you spell that in scons.