gpsd-users

Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Warning: upcoming systemd issue: /var/run
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 19:36:14 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:01:26 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> If you are compiling native

Sadly, scons has no way to know if you are compiling native or not.

> That could get messy if the run directory could in yet another
> place....

And that also happens.

> For cross compiling, you would still want the option.

So, back to the option.  What s/b the default: /var/run or /run?

gentoo jas them linked.

> > Which s/b the default?
>
> For me, I would make /run the default. But I have no idea what
> non-Debian systems do. RPi? xBSD? Redhat and derivatives?

FHS says /run, with /var/run for back compaitbility.  So for FHS compliance
/run is the answer.

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s15.html

> Fortunately, this is not an emergency, and we have time.

If not now, we'll forget...

New substitutable variable: @RUNDIR@.  scons options rundir=XX

autobuilt gpsd_config.h has:

/* Directory for run-time variable data */
#define RUNDIR "/run"

Change pushed.

I see a few places in gpsd this new var needs to be used:

/var/run/gpsd.sock
/var/run/gpsd.pid
/var/run/chrony.%s.sock

Those can wait a day.