gpsd-users

PPS in GPSD vs Chrony

From: Dennis Law
Subject: PPS in GPSD vs Chrony
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 15:57:54 +0800

Hello,

I noticed that the PPS correction used by GPSD is rather similar to that in Chrony.

In GPSD, the PPS correction is performed on top of the NMEA input and output to Chrony via SHM1 or Sock.

If I am not mistaken, Chrony does the same correction when combining a SHM refclock and a PPS refclock. This is achieved through the "lock" feature in the configuration file.

Is this understanding correct? Also are there any benefits of using one over the other?
Thank you for your time.