gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:13:45 -0800

Yo David!

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 09:40:17 +0000
David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Let me put a simple question.  In my configuration (and, yes, there
> is an RTC on the Raspberry Pi HAT) I have two connections:
>
> - a serial port connection sending NMEA/UBX data.
>
> - a GPIO connection for the PPS data.

Like the Uputronics board.  Having an RTC is nice.

Did you fix the issue I reported to you?

> Is it acceptable practice to use a type 22 driver for NTP to get its
> PPS,

Not here on the gpsd email list.  Here we use the SHM NTP driver.

> and at the same time to use a 28.0 driver to get GPSD's coarse
> time data?

It can be done, but all you do is confuse the NTP cluster algorithm.

> This appears to work correctly.

The problem is only one program can read the serial device at a time.
So without some plumbing that can not work.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588