gpsd-users

Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Newly built / installed gpsd reporting address already in use
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:06:51 -0700

Yo Josh!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 17:57:17 +0000
"Stein, Josh" <josh@anl.gov> wrote:

>   This morning I started a from-scratch installation of gpsd on a
> rPi3. Brand new install of OS as well.

Cool!

> Distro is latest raspbian which reports to be based on debian 10
> (buster) Uname -r reveals: 5.10.23-v7+ for the kernel

A common distro for RasPi3.

> I grabbed the tarbal from here:
> https://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/gpsd/?C=M&O=D Choosing
> gpsd-3.22 dated 09-Jan-2021 02:44

Why not git head?

> The build went fine without any gating errors.

Good.

> Upon invoking gpsd (as root) with : "gpsd -N -D3 -F /run/gpsd.sock
> /dev/ttyUSB0" (as suggested in the troubleshooting section here:
> https://gpsd.io/troubleshooting.html) The following output is
> produced:
>
> gpsd:WARN: This system has a 32-bit time_t.  This gpsd will fail at
> 2038-01-19T03:14:07Z. gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.22)
> gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use
> gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!
> gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv6 port gpsd, Address already in use
> gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!
> gpsd:ERROR: command sockets creation failed, netlib errors -1, -1

Whoops. As it says: "maybe gpsd is already running".

> I verified before invoking the above command that there was no
> /run/gpsd.sock file

gpsd does not use that file.

> I also verified I can see and talk to the gps using: "gpsmon
> /dev/ttyUSB0"

You kept going past the failure.  read that agin:

> gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!
Did you check that?

> Any ideas for me to try?

Please download this shell file:

https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/raw/master/clients/gpsdebuginfo?inline=false

And run it as root.  Send this list the full output.  I'm pretty sure I
know your problem, that will confirm it and check for other issues.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588