gpsd-users

Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 20:18:44 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 20:57:28 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> I've attempted to open the file /etc/default/gpsd, but I'm afraid I
> don't have this.
>
> root@clover-9676:~# cat /etc/default/gpsd
> cat: /etc/default/gpsd: No such file or directory

Bad if you want to run under systemd(umb).  Good if you don't want to
run under systemd(mber).

> I've also attempted the command gpsd -nND 4 /dev/gps0 which resulted
> in:
>
> root@clover-9676:~#  gpsd -nND 4 /dev/gps0
> gpsd:WARN: This system has a 32-bit time_t.  This gpsd will fail at
> 2038-01-19T03:14:07Z.
> gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.23~rc1)
> gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use
> gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!  Or systemd has the port?

That is telling us you are already running gpsd.  You can only run
one copy of gpsd.  Kill the first one, then start a new one, as root:

    killall -9 gpsd
    gpsd -nND 4 /dev/gps0

> Any I have also attempted the ps ax | sed -nE '1p;/gpsd/p' to check
> if gpsd is running.
>
> root@clover-9676:~# ps ax | sed -nE '1p;/gpsd/p'
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>   912 ?        S<s    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd
>   995 pts/0    S+     0:00 sed -nE 1p;/gpsd/p

And it is, but you already knew that.

> Outside of still gpsd not being connected to the port /dev/gps0 is
> there any irregularity in how this program is running from these

Outside of it having no way to work properly, it is fine.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588