gpsd-users

Re: ublox zed-f9p - need to power cycle?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ublox zed-f9p - need to power cycle?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:13:29 -0800

Yo Andreas!

On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 09:51:00 +0100
Andreas B <panden@gmail.com> wrote:

> By the end of October I noticed that the number of used satellites
> dropped down. This trend of low number of used sats continued until
> last week (~19. Nov), when I power cycled my raspi.

Never seen such a thing.  What version gpsd?  What model receiver?
What firmwmare?

> What would be the cause of this?
> Outdated almanac?

Newer receivers hardly even use the Almanac.  With a large number of receive
channels they can directly search for sat in view and download the
Ephemeris.  That is a lot quicker to start.

> Is it wise to do a power cycle every now and then, or is it necessary?

I've only see it needed when the user has put the receiver in an odd
configuration.  But if the receiver has persistent memoery that may
not be sufficient to recover.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588