gpsd-users

Re: Strange ntpmon offset

From: Massimiliano Fago
Subject: Re: Strange ntpmon offset
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 23:31:30 +0100

Il Lun 29 Nov 2021, 22:25 Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> ha scritto:
Yo Massimiliano!

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 22:11:17 +0100
Massimiliano Fago <massimiliano.fago@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is my full ntpd.conf:
>
> #pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst

The pool statement does no good when commented out.  It should be
uncommented, and after the PPS chimer.

my system is not connected to internet, this pool line is really needs?

> #driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
> #logfile /var/log/ntp.log

Those two logs can be useful.

ok

> #MFA aggiunto il 30/09/2019
> #server 127.127.43.0     # standard Linux RTC

Or you caould add this, and 4 more, servers.

which other 4 servers?

> logfile /var/log/ntpd.log

Oh, you do have a logfile.

> Can you suggest a good ntpd.conf file for my application?

You are almost there.  See above.

> > Dunno why you think that is strange.  Your ntpd is not locked, so
> > it not driving your local clock, so the offset will vary randomly
> > with temperature
>
> my fear is that the system clock changes randomly. Can it be possible?

Not only possible, but what you are seeing.

I need to remove this possibility, how I can do?

> I need a stable and precise time.

Most of us do.

> > > Please give me some suggestion.
> >
> > RTFM:
> >
> > https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html
> > https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html#_feeding_ntpd_from_gpsd
> > https://gpsd.io/time-service-intro.html

See those for more suggestions.

in this document you talk about "chrony"
is it better than ntpd?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588