gpsd-users

Re: gpxlogger with depth storing

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpxlogger with depth storing
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:41:14 -0800

Yo Владимир!

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 11:39:20 +0300
Владимир Калачихин <v.kalachikhin@gmail.com> wrote:

> 06.11.2022 23:29, Gary E. Miller пишет:
> >
> > gpx has no field for depth.  It can include other XML schemas, so
> > you need to identify one that allows depth that gpxlogger can use.
> > Then changing the code is easy.
>
> Today, there is apparently only one documented scheme left to store
> depth. This is a Garmin extensions:
> https://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3/GpxExtensionsv3.xsd

That could work.

> To use this scheme, you must add to the gpx header line:
> '
> xmlns:gpxx="http://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3";
> ',
> and add shema location to xsi:schemaLocation:
> '
> xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1
> http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd
> https://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3
> https://www8.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3/GpxExtensionsv3.xsd";
> '
> and after this add to trkpt:
> '
> <extensions>
>       <gpxx:TrackPointExtension>
>               <gpxx:Depth>${depth}/gpxx:Depth>
>       </gpxx:TrackPointExtension>
> </extensions>
> '

Could you fake a complete GPX file with that?  It would help me code.

> Here is a plugin for SignalK, similar to the gpxlogger, that does
> this: https://github.com/VladimirKalachikhin/naiveGPXlogger

I'll look at that, but I not a big fan of .js files.

> > Or you could ask the GPX people to add depth to their schema.
> >
> They are silent.

Not a surprise.

Give me a week to htink about this, then nag me again.  Some bugs
are ahead of this on my todo list.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588