gpsd-users

Re: GNSS receivers in modems

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GNSS receivers in modems
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:05:30 -0800

Yo Владимир!

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 13:44:48 +0300
Владимир Калачихин <v.kalachikhin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it gpsd support GNSS receivers in modems in a some special way?

Nope.  Most are undocumented and/or use wierd signaling, thus unsupported
by gpsd.  There are some hacks around to enable the receiver to send NMEA
before starting gpsd.

> Or is it possible to only read the NMEA stream from port?

gpsd has many ways to read NMEA: serial port, UBS port, udp port, tcp
port, file, etc.  Plus gpsd can read many other things, like AIS, NTRIP,
TSIP, etc.

> I have a Quectel EP06 modem with GNSS module. After I turned on GNSS
> receiver by AT command I was able to run gpsd with tty port to read
> NMEA stream. It works.

For some variant of "works".  Quectel firmware is not really NMEA
compliant.  They ignore my bug reports and don't send me samples.

> Is that all I can do?

We are all only limited by our budgets and imagination.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588