gpsd-users

Re: u-blox : layers are confusing me

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: u-blox : layers are confusing me
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 11:40:08 -0700

Yo Hans!

On Sat, 20 May 2023 15:43:51 +0200
Hans Mayer <gpsd@ma.yer.at> wrote:

> U-blox ZED-F9P with version 27.12

Nice.  What port are you using?  The USB?  Serial?  I2C?

> gpsd: 3.25.1~dev (revision release-3.25-48-gfa2081388)

Good.  The next thing I need is the complete, untouched, output of:
        ubxtool -p CONFIG
        ubxtool -p STATUS

> I am trying to understand the layers, especially with the baudrate
> configuration.

Good luck.  The new u-blox layers confuse everyone.

The short answer is that every value actually has 7 layers, and the
value set in the highest priority layer wins.  Spend some quality time
reading Section 5.3 of this:

    'ZED-F9P_InterfaceDescription_(UBX-18010854).pdf'

> This is the situation after a RESET

Which kind of RESET?  There are many kinds, each slightly different.

> UBX-CFG-VALGET:
>   version 1 layer 0 position 0
>    layers (ram)
>      item CFG-UART1-BAUDRATE/0x40520001 val 38400

One of the 4 possible layers, you only retrieved the value from layer 0
(RAM).  A speed of 38.400

> UBX-CFG-VALGET:
>   version 1 layer 7 position 0
>    layers (default)
>      item CFG-UART1-BAUDRATE/0x40520001 val 38400

One of the 4 possible layers, you only retrieved the value from layer 7
(default).  A speed of 38.400

> /ubxtool -z CFG-UART1-BAUDRATE,115200,0 localhost:gpsd:/dev/serial0 /
>
> and I am wondering why gpsd can still access the device with 38400 bd

If you look at the doc for UBX-VAL-SET, you'll see you can never set
layer 0.  Layer 0 is computed from the other layers.

The "layer" in VAL_SET is not an integer like you are thinking, it is
a bit map.  Bit 1 is to set layer 1, bit 2 is to set layer 2, and bit
trhee is to set layer 4.

So the layer value can be 0 to 7, each with this result:
        0 - nothering
        1 - set layer 1
        2 - set layer 2
        3 - set layers 1 and 2
        4 - set layer 4
        5 = set layers 1 and 4
        6 - set layers 2 and 4
        7 - set layers 1, 2 and 3

Are you sure you have Battery Backed Ram (BBR) on your board?

> /ubxtool -z CFG-UART1-BAUDRATE,115200,1 localhost:gpsd:/dev/serial0/
>
> Now communications is broken to the ZED-F9P. I have to reconfigure
> the gpsd with 115200 bd

As expected and documented.

> The ZED-F9P interface
> description PDF is in general very useful but didn't give me a
> solution for my question.

I'm unclear exxactly what your question is?

Does my explanation above help?

> It seems there is sometimes an offset of 1 but not always

u-blox layers have vexxed many people.  The answers really are in the doc.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588