gpsd-users

Re: systemd and GPSD issue

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: systemd and GPSD issue
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 07:14:24 -0400

Robert Livingston <scion@olympus.net> writes:

> We have used the various versions of GPSD for 15 years but have a
> problem with Debian 11 that relates to socket conflicts (?).

I'd suggest looking for help in Debian forums or with systemd.  It's
almost certainly the case that systemd is opening the gpsd socket in an
attempt to be able to hand it off to an actual gpsd on demand.  This
list has a norm of telling people that using systemd leads to trouble
and that the right answer is don't do that :-)

You didn't explain what you are trying to do and why, and why, after
reading and understanding about how systemd works, you have made the
configuration choices you did.

If you want to start gpsd manually, then deconfiguring it from systemd
seems wise.

If you want it always running, you'll need to tell systemd to do
that.  But that's a systemd issue, not gpsd issue.