gpsd-users

Re: Assisted GPS UBlox7

From: Mike
Subject: Re: Assisted GPS UBlox7
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 00:08:26 +0000

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 11:07:28AM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Mike!

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.  Please may I pose a few more
questions to further my understanding?

1) You mentioned newer receievers could be had for not much money.
What should I be looking out for when buying a receiever?  My 7-series
was cheap and puchased a year ago, so on the face of it, it does appaer
to meet the criteria of "newer" and "not much money" :-)  I'm relutant
to ask for recommendations, as it's like asking people to take sides in
a marital dispute, nevertheless, do you have any recommendations /
suggestions, please?

2) I'm curious to why the Ephermeris / Almanac download issue doesn't
afflict "newer receivers"?

3) I'm a little perplexed as to why the Ephemeris data is so hard to get
hold of?  Surely I can't be the only person in the world with a GPS
receiever who's pondered sending the Ephemeris over a serial port?
Surely any schmuck with a SDR can receieve the data from the GPS system?
I understand that while it's unusual for a GPS, the 7 series will
actually squirt the Ephermeris from GPS to host, if asked really nicely.
The first thought that went through my head was, maybe I should buy a
2nd one, leave it on the roof of my house and habe a perl script downlod
the data every few mins and stick it on a web server.  Am I missing
something?

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Regards,
Mike.