gpsd-users

Re: GPSD PPS Jitter

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: GPSD PPS Jitter
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 19:22:04 -0500

George Sexton via <gpsd-users@nongnu.org> writes:

> GPS Unit: Garmin GPS-16X HVS
> OS: OpenSUSE Leap 15.5 Kernel Version 5.14.21
> GPSD Version: 3.25
> Serial Port: MosChip Semicondiuctor Technology Ltd. PCIe 9912
> Multi-I/O Controller 16550

You left out the computer.

It sounds to me like the interrupt latency to timestamp acquisition, or
the precision of the system clock, is too high/low.

It also looks like your timestamps are occasionally too low.  I would
plot them and see what that looks like.  It might be that the issue is
timely updating of the system clock instead of the PPS timestamp.

overall  while it's on-topic enough to ask for help here, I think you
have a hardware issue or a linux issue, not a gpsd issue.