gpsd-users

Re: gpsd with python project

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd with python project
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 11:36:30 -0800

Yo Al!

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 06:56:49 +1300
Al Grant <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have mentioned that I will deploy the unit in two ways (1) on
> a drone for logging data and (2) static deployment - although I will
> still have a gps attached.

Both common.

> I have noted from the replies not to write to the SD,

SD cards are cheap, no big deal if you wear them out, just don't deend
on them for long term data retention.

> and upgrade to
> 3.24 for best support with ublox (although I seem to have the daemon
> working on 3.22 ok thanks

3.22, and even 3.24 are old, lot of updates.  Use 3.25, or better yet
use git head.

> perhaps this helped
> https://stfn.pl/blog/08-gpsd-linux-ublox/ )

I don't agree with some of their choices.  But UNIX is choice.

Did you look at out tutorials?

> Will look at sending the data via websockets and tailscape to my
> server).

Why? use the gpsd -G option, and just connect to port 2947/TCP

> The other option for my GPS is to use a active antenna with my Quectel
> EC25 ceullar pi hat

Avoid anything Quectel.  They have "imaginative" ideas of how the
standards should be implemented.

 > i say active because the performance of the free
> antenna I got with the Sixfab EC25 based GPS was terrible). Maybe a
> siretta one like Alpha 4A.

Nothing says you can't update just your antenna.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588