gpsd-users

RE: Help needed with USB GPS device

From: James Browning
Subject: RE: Help needed with USB GPS device
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 04:07:14 -0800

On Mar 2, 2024 03:18, Gavin Davenport <gavdav@gavdav.net> wrote:

>>And there is the answer to your GPS type.  It is s SiRF-III.  A tad
>>old, not so good indoors.  My condolences.  SiRF was bought out, and
>>disappearing from the market.
The label on the device itself says it's a BU-353 (It is 10+ years old and it was supplying GPS positions to a car PC for years)
Slightly different discussion then - what's an affordable alternative ?
Should I be avoiding all USB GPS devices ?

I am fond of some Navisys usb receivers. Gary
 will try to talk you out of them. Also, they're
 hard to get. You'll probably want a GR8013 or
 better for indoor use.

>>> + cat /etc/sysconfig/gpsd
>>> # Options for gpsd, including serial devices
>>> OPTIONS=""
>>> # Set to 'true' to add USB devices automatically via udev
>>> USBAUTO="false"
>>> DEVICES="/dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/pps0"
>>                        ^^^^^^^^^^  Wrong, remove it.
I don't quite follow this. I remove /dev/ttyUSB0 ? Don't I also need to remove /dev/pps0 as the device doesn't produce PPS ?
What options does this leave me with ?

Not being you, I use
"-nGF /run/gpsd.sock -P /run/gpsd.pid"
Your mileage will vary.

>>> I didn't know USB GPS devices tended not to have PPS.
>>And now you do.
What's the alternative ? searching the web for GPS devices gives me lots of handhelds, lots of USB ones but I don't know how to find which ones offer/support PPS.
Maybe this ?
https://gpsd.io/hardware.html

Funny you should mention that page. The
 globalsat bu353 has been there a while.

>> If no PPS is good, then you just need to figure out if gpsd is talking to
>>chronyd.  Another email from another list user had things to check on that
>>part.
I'm confused by this. Conceptually I think chrony is querying gpsd data. Do I need to inform gpsd about chronyd somehow ?

Chrony should be generating socket files. Gpsd
 should the pick up the socket files and pushing
 parsed time updates over one and nothing over
 the other unless your hardware starts
 generating a PPS.

Many thanks
Gavin