gpsd-users

Re: Help With PPS / GPSD In Proxmox (Linux)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Help With PPS / GPSD In Proxmox (Linux)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:44:20 -0700

Yo Ed!

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:45:02 -0400
Ed Armstrong <eds_equipment@verizon.net> wrote:

>   Hi Gary. I appreciate your response. I am trying to give maximum
> details in this message, please forgive if I go overboard.

As a rule, best to answer y quesstions than try to guess what I want.

> Please note that I need to "systemctl stop gpsd.service " before I
> get good output from cgps, gpsmon, or the "gpsd -D 5 -N -n
> /dev/ttyS0" command. This is true even after I "systemctl disable
> gpsd.socket gpsd.service" and then reboot. That seems to be a clue,
> but I have not been clever enough to figure it out.

Systemd(umb) is our largest single problem in gpsd land.  Please just
remove the gpsd service file.  I avoid systemd(umber) at all costs, in
all things.

> > Lady Heather and gpsd don't work together. What receiver to you
> > have that has a GPSDO in it?
> >
> I also thought that Lady Heather and GPSD weren't compatible, but a
> few weeks ago I was looking through the Lady Heather manual, and
> under "configuring the receiver type" I saw the line "/rxg - GPSD
> interface (mainly a Linux thing - /ip=localhost:2947)".

I'll leave that to you, and the Lady Heather guy.

> For reference, I am currently just trying to get it functioning and
> am temporarily using an Adafruit GPS breakout board and converting
> the signal to serial port level with one of those little MAX3232
> modules.

As long as you see nice NMEA you are good there.

> I soldered a wire to an unused input on the MAX3232 and one
> from the output to the DCD pin on the serial port connector for the
> PPS. The signal was backwards, I'm inverting it with an ESP32.

No such thing as "backwards".  gpsd detects the correct edge.

> This unit will also be running VM's for the Intel version of the
> excellent tomato router software (https://tomato64.org/) and freePBX
> for a single-line IP phone system.

VMs and NTP do not coexist well.

> > What does cgps show you? Good fix?
>
> Well, a few minutes after booting I get this.

So, no.

> root@Proxmox:~# systemctl stop gpsd.service
> Warning: Stopping gpsd.service, but it can still be activated by:
>    gpsd.socket

Just stop using systemd(umbest) and gpsd!

> gpsmon gives me the following, but only if I first stop gpsd.service

gpsmon is an old, unmaintained, developers tool.  It is NOT a gpsd client.
Ig nore it.

> gpsdebuginfo a few minutes after boot, gpsd.service not stopped.

Once again, just remove the gpsd service file.  It is a zombie, it needs
to be shot in the head.

> root@Proxmox:~#  /usr/bin/gpsdebuginfo.sh

> VERSION="12 (bookworm)"

Oh, bookworm.  A LOT of people having problems with bookworm.

> + gpsd -V
> gpsd: 3.22 (revision 3.22)

You realizet that is over 3 years old?  Try 3.25, or better, try git head.

> # Magic Hat enabled

Magic Hat should only be enabled on Raspberry Pi's,  So, bad binary.

> + lsof -iTCP:2947 -s TCP:LISTEN
> COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> systemd   1 root   65u  IPv6  21965      0t0  TCP ip6-localhost:gpsd
> (LISTEN)

Well, well.  Systemd(umbass) is still holding the socket!!!

KILL IT!!!!

> ntpshmmon: version 3.22
> #      Name  Seen@                 Clock Real                 L Prc
> sample NTP0  1712010361.028790987  1712010050.127021666
> 1712010050.000259175 0 -20
> sample NTP1  1712010361.028801159  1712010051.001645378
> 1712010051.000000000 0 -20

Good PPS.

> + python3 -c import gps;print(gps.__version__)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gps'

The python gpsd module not installed.  Not good.

> > root@Proxmox:~# gpsd -D 5 -N -n /dev/ttyS0
> > gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.22)
> > gpsd:IO: opening IPv4 socket
> > gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to IPv4 port gpsd, Address already in use
> > gpsd:ERROR: maybe gpsd is already running!

Stop right here!  Nothing else matters.  Another gpsd is running, and
this one is doing nothing.

You need to KILL the sysmted(rool) control over gpsd.

In the futre, please attach long logs as attachments.  Inline in email
gets re-rofmatted.  Badly.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588