grep-devel

[Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-2.27.49-20ca

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: [Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-2.27.49-20ca
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 16:09:14 -0800

Here is a snapshot of the latest.
Thank you especially to Paul Eggert and Norihiro Tanaka for all
of their improvements, both in the grep repository and via gnulib.

Please give this a try.
I hope to release 2.28 in about two weeks.

grep snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz      1.4 MB
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/grep/grep-2.27.49-20ca.tar.xz

NEWS
-------------------
** Bug fixes

  When grep -Fo finds matches of differing length, it could
  mistakenly print a shorter one.  Now it prints a longest one.
  [bug introduced in grep-2.26]

  When standard output is /dev/null, grep no longer fails when
  standard input is a file in the Linux /proc file system, or when
  standard input is a pipe and standard output is in append mode.
  [bugs introduced in grep-2.27]

  Fix performance regression with multiple patterns, e.g., for -Fi in
  a multi-byte locale, or for -Fw in a single-byte locale.
  [bugs introduced in grep-2.19, grep-2.22 and grep-2.26]

** Improvements

  Improve performance for -E or -G pattern lists that are easily
  converted to -F format.

--------------------
Changes in grep since v2.27:

Arnold D. Robbins (1):
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest

Jim Meyering (9):
      maint: post-release administrivia
      maint: tell "syntax-check" not to worry about the NEWS update
      tests: use just-built grep in more places
      maint: fix "syntax-check" failure
      gnulib: update to latest, fixing a parallel getopt test failure
      maint: update gnulib and copyright dates for 2017
      maint: avoid new syntax-check failures
      tests: really add the new test name
      gnulib: update to latest

Norihiro Tanaka (2):
      grep: improve performance with multiple patterns
      grep -Fo could report a match that is not the longest

Paul Eggert (32):
      maint: clarify early-exit news for 2.27
      grep: simplify finalize_input
      grep: work around proc lseek glitch
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      grep: simplify line counting in patterns
      grep: simplify matcher configuration
      grep: fix performance with multiple patterns
      maint: rewrite to avoid some macros
      grep: remove C label
      grep: simplify Fexecute
      grep: specialize word-finding functions
      grep: speed up -wf in C locale
      grep: standardize on localeinfo.multibyte
      grep: improve word checking with UTF-8
      grep: fix comment in searchutils.c
      grep: minor performance tweak for pure functions
      grep: fix bug with '... | grep pat >> /dev/null'
      * NEWS: Fix typo.
      grep: int cleanup in kwset.c
      maint: space before paren
      grep: speed up -x with many patterns
      grep: improve comments, mostly in kwset
      dfa: prefer ptrdiff_t to size_t
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      Improve -i performance in typical UTF-8 searches
      * src/kwset.c: Fix comment typo.
      * NEWS: Fix typo.
      grep: remove Commentz-Walter code
      grep: speed up Aho-Corasick when at most 2 bytes
      grep: simplify recent kwset change

Zev Weiss (5):
      grep: prepare search backends for thread-safety
      dfasearch: thread safety
      kwsearch: thread safety
      pcresearch: thread safety
      grep: move localeinfo to grep.c