grep-devel

Re: grep-3.8.11-908f on AIX 7.2

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: grep-3.8.11-908f on AIX 7.2
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:55:08 -0800

On 2023-01-14 02:09, Paul Eggert wrote:

As you mentioned, some of the tests still fail with AIX xlclang 16.1; I'll see if I can spring some time to look at them too, though I fear they may involve another compiler bug.

I fixed all but the empty-line failure, which causes grep to give the wrong answers in some cases if you build with xlclang 16.1 on AIX 7.2. Unfortunately it's hard for me to debug that, since xlclang and gdb disagree about the debugger format which means I can't easily use gdb. However, the problem seems to be somewhere in the DFA code.

On AIX the default compiler is gcc if available, and people who don't have gcc typically use xlc instead of the newfangled xlclang, so this isn't a big deal. "make check" works for me if I use either gcc or xlc. We can tell people not to use xlclang, if the subject comes up.