RE: [Groff] configure prob.

From: Eddie Maddox
Subject: RE: [Groff] configure prob.
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 10:44:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 address@hidden wrote:

> > configure:657: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> > ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

> You can try running ldconfig from the command line, with a command
> like
>
>    ldconfig /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/lib
>
> However, I recommend reading "man ldconfig" first; and even better

I read man ldconfig. It indicated I should add that path to
/etc/ld.so.conf. Did so.

Fixed that problem, but generated tons more, totally wrecking things
everywhere so even ls and sync broke.

Did a reboot to a rescue system. fsck fixed bunches of stuff.
I deleted that path I added to /etc/ld.so.conf. Didn't help. System don't
even get through the init scripts at boot time now.

Plan:
1. Stick to RH 5.1 on my '486 for Groff work. It works fine. So does
the Debian 2.1 server that hosts my mngovsci.com domain.

2. Scratch that Mandrake 6.1 partition on my K6. I have better things to
do with it. And I have Corel Linux and Slackware 7 already on order.

(Nothing was lost. It was a new drive and I had just loaded Mandrake 6.1
on it. Oh, well.)

Thanks much, Ted and Werner.
Eddie Maddox
address@hidden