RE: [Groff] groff_man.man revised -- Fast Reply

From: Freudenberger Joerg
Subject: RE: [Groff] groff_man.man revised -- Fast Reply
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:37:44 +0100

> > I compare with man(5) of SunOS 5.4 aka Solaris 2.4.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> > 1. That implementation doesn't provide OPTIONS.
> >     { I've ever missed double-sided printing }
>
> I suppose this is a typo: You probably mean `I've never missed...' :-)
>
> > 2. All macros which having text arguments
> > accept zero to six (troff-)words.
> > If one of the following
> > ( .B .BI .BR .I .IB .IR. .RB .RI .SM .SS [.R isn't listed ])
> > has no arg it uses the next text line.
>
> This is exactly the same behaviour (well, groff accepts an unlimited
> number of arguments).

> > 3. "prevailing indent" is remembered as long as not a new
> > indent value is set.  indent macros are ( .HP .IP .RS .TP ).
> > .RE has no argument.
>
> I think that groff's tmac.an is thus backwards compatible.
>
> > 4. The "Text Header" macro ( .TH ) is defined with 5 arguments
> >     $1 Title
> >     $2 Section
> >     $3 (optional) Date of the most recent change
> >     $4 (optional) left page footer
> >     $5 (optional) main page header (center of headline)
>
> Identical.
>
> > 5. The following requests cause a break:
> > .HP .IP .LP .P .PP .RE .RS .SH .SS .TH .TP
>
> Identical -- shall I mention this in groff_man?
I doubt a man pages newbie will honour this. And the advanced will
get this detail of there look on the printed peaces of paper.

> > 7. It contains a very short tbl example for the man(1) preprocessing
> > This is excerpted from man(1):
> > If the first line is
> >     '\" <word>
> > the input is processed by the corresponding preprocessor.
> > Mind the single Space. <word> contains e for eqn, r for refer
> > t for tbl and v for vgrind.
>
> Hmm.  Not all man implementation honour this, but I'll add some infos
> about this convention.
>
> > 8. Two Macros ( .IX .TX ) are additionaly defined. The first ist
> > an index macro mark as for SunSoft internal use. The later
> > is explained as resolving title abbreviation. IMHO only
> > for internal interest
>
> Has someone infos about other tmac.an implemetations?  Shall I define
> this as no-ops?

I think this is not nessessary, because that who try to format vendor
specific man pages also have the "original" tmac.an.
I will quote this information in the compatibility section
of the white paper.

> > May we get Trent's request list into the distribution ?
>
> I'll look at it -- is it complete?  Or has it been extracted from
> groff.texinfo (which I'm currently trying to improve)?
I don't know. I hope I get my machine to format texi in the next week
to look at the documentation ...

        Jörg