Re: [Groff] I'm building groff docs

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] I'm building groff docs
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:38:50 -0700

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:42:17PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I tracked down the v7 docs and ask Dennis Ritchie if it would be OK
> > to update them for groff and he said he thought it would be fine as
> > long as we attributed them to the original authors (which is of
> > course OK by me).
>
> Everything which is contributed to groff is fine!  But please excuse
> my ignorance -- what exactly are you talking about?

Taking the original V7 troff documentation, i.e.,
        Troff Users Manual
        Troff tutorial
        Tbl manual
        Eqn manual
        ESR's version of the PIC manual
        Refer manual
        Bib manual
Putting them under revision control (BitKeeper),
making changes so that they format under groff,
add information about what groff does that the originals didn't do,
add in a collection of ``stupid groff tricks'' (which aren't so
stupid, examples of color support, how to escape to postscript,
examples of image inclusion, etc),
ideally, add in Rich Steven's scripts for writing books in troff,
and print the whole mess and make it available in source and .ps form.

Should be done tomorrow :-)

So far, I have everything under version control and printing under groff.
I can make that repository available if people like.
--
---
Larry McVoy                address@hidden           http://www.bitmover.com/lm