Re: [Groff] .di behaviour

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] .di behaviour
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:34:20 +0100 (CET)

> The implication is that if you want the entire contents of the
> diversion body to be kept together and output at the point where the
> diversion macro is called, then it is wise to begin the diversion
> with a ".br" and also to end it with a ".br".

I have to correct myself.  The example I gave is wrong.  It is *not*
possible to do

  aaa
  .
  .di xxx
  .br
  ccc
  .br
  .di
  .
  bbb
  \*[xxx]

    => bbb aaa ccc

since the first `.br' has no effect at all (thus the diversion
contains `aaa ccc'.  Consequence: A diversion *always* includes the
last partial line.  I consider this very unfortunate.

My idea is to introduce a new request similar to .di which does not
have this restriction.  I want something similar to a TeX box:

  aaa
  .
  .box xxx
  ccc
  .box
  .
  bbb
  \*[xxx]

    => aaa bbb ccc

It is easy to add -- such code already exists to implement the \w
escape sequence.

What do you think?