[Groff] Re: a node is illegal within \X

From: Rick Richardson
Subject: [Groff] Re: a node is illegal within \X
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:35:12 -0600

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:28:38PM -0600, Rick Richardson wrote:

> Trying to put in PDF marks into an MM document.  Defined this
> heading user exit macro to get called when the heading has been
> produced...
>
>       .de HZ
>       .ds hhh \\*[hd*mark] \\$3
>       \X'ps: exec [ /View [/XYZ 44 730 1.0] /Title (\\*[hhh]) /OUT pdfmark'
>       ..
>
> This works great and I get the marks I want, except that I get
> a slew of warning messages from groff, one warning message per
> invocation of .HZ.
>
>       sample.mm:86: a node is illegal within \X
>       sample.mm:88: a node is illegal within \X
>
> How can I convince groff that everything is copasetic with what
> I've written?  Or is there a better way to write this?

Well, i"ll answer my own question. It turns out that MM will
set \*[hd*mark] to have a value like "1.2.3\ \ ", and that
groff doesn't like those escaped spaces.

I fixed it with a hack to get rid of the two escaped spaces, and
while I was at it grabbed a few lessons from the recently
posted pdfmark macros.

        .de HZ
        .       ds hhh \\*[hd*mark]
        .       chop hhh
        .       chop hhh
        .       pdfbookmark "\\*[hhh] \\$3"
        ..

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson  address@hidden      http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/
Twins Cities traffic animations are at http://members.nbci.com/tctraffic/#1

Gore: "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet".  Gore was 21 when DARPA launched
what is now the Internet in 1969.  Gore was first elected in 1977.