Re: [Groff] Smart quotes

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Smart quotes
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:42:51 -0500

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 02:13:41AM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> >
> > I can't believe I'm the first person who's ever wanted/needed
> > smart quotes in groff.
> >

> This is not a pure troff solution, but it may give you some ideas.
>
> I've used a short perl filter to turn typewriter double quotes into
> troff double quotes:
>
>  #!/usr/bin/perl -p
>
>   s/(\S)"/\1''/g;

Up till now, we've been using a sed script that does the same
thing.  Seems to be the most common solution.  Might even be the
best.  Unfortunately, "smart quotes in groff" has turned into
what we call in French a "casse-tête," i.e. a brain-teaser
nobody's willing to let go of until it's solved. :)

--
PTPi
Peter Schaffter

A confirmed GNU/Linuxer. Sorry, I don't do Windows.